Monday, October 22, 2012

Assignment 2: Truth

Ever since the start of my studies with the OCA, the question of truth and photography has continued to fascinate me, both from a philosophical standpoint and a practical one.  It took me quite a while to completely discard the idea that a photograph was a mirror on reality. I intrinsically accepted the idea of photographic evidence, i.e. that a photograph presents a truth.  I was a Photoshop user and so understood that a photograph could be manipulated, but that was the extent of my mistrust. As a casual photographer and consumer of imagery I had never considered the question of what lies outside that rectangular frame and how the person holding the camera decided how much of it I would or would not see.  In a sense this is an obvious idea, photographic meaning is as much defined by omission as by inclusion, however, culturally we live with this idea of the photograph as an object that conveys truth.  

With this assignment I am stepping beyond the frame in questioning the use of photography as a mirror on society.  Here my concern is not so much the single image, but how images combine to portray the mood of an event, asking questions about the non-photos, the images  that we never see?.  When an event is considered newsworthy photographers are dispatched to cover it.  They take their photographs and then transmit the images back to the publication for inclusion or exclusion.  Editorial policy, politics in another word, kicks in and the newspaper runs the images that best conform to their view of what they want to say about the event.  

This extends beyond simple editorial bias to direct political interference, the US governments refusal to allow photographs of returning soldiers coffins being a prime example.  In my case the subject is much more prosaic, but these questions are still extremely valid for me.  The Oktoberfest is normally presented in the context of tradition or boisterous fun, I rarely see any photographs that look behind the tents and capture the vomit, the ambulance crews, the violence.  This year 45 people were arrested for using a liter beer glass as a weapon.  I have witnessed this myself, years ago, someone smashed a glass into a guys face standing near me - I have never seen so much blood before or after. More people needed medical treatment than every before this year.  However, this only appears as a foot note in news coverage and there is an absence of photographic record.  Google Oktoberfest pictures and get image after image of beer and traditional dress, add the word violence, almost nothing.  It was very noticeable for me that as soon as any violence occurred security was as interested in preventing any photographs as capturing the offenders.  Image is everything and the fest is very lucrative to the city, they need to maintain the idea of clean but drunken fun. 

In working this assignment I was very conscious of wanting to portray the good and the bad of the event, I love to drink and have had some marvelously drunken times at the fest, however, I have also witnessed extreme violence and many dangerously drunk people.  I now have a large body of photographs that span the full spectrum of the Oktoberfest experience, the question is what slant I want to put on it.  No matter how careful I am at retaining a balanced view, my own prejudice will infect the set, in fact it must, this has to be a personal response to the event.

In this post I am not trying to answer that question yet, but have gone through the process of selecting 12 images as a straw horse and then done that a further 5 times.  Each time I have adopted a bias and tried to build and sequence a set that meets that bias.  I wish to explore editorial interference in how a photographic portrayal of an event is built.  In each case my focus is still on the people attending, although some sets are less social documentary than others.

Upbeat:  Here I am trying to take a positive look at the fest, but still including the affects of the alcohol.  

Downbeat:  here I am really dwelling on the evils of drink, the violence, the sickness, the stupidity

Propaganda: Now I have taken the stance of working for the city to positively portray the event

Friendship:  The fest is a social event and with these images I have tried to portray the camaraderie of the attendees

Bleak:  With this set I am really looking under the carpet and showing how tawdry and grim the fest can be. The weather helped a lot.

Vibrance:  Finally another popular theme for photographing the fest, the colour and frenetic activity.  This is probably closest to how I experience and remember it.

Each set of photographs carries a different message.  If someone asked me to send them photographs of my experience at the fest I could send any of these and still be telling the truth, but only a piece of the truth and the piece that I choose to share.  There is nothing new here and in a sense everything that I have written about is plainly obvious, but strangely we do not really take this on board.

I finish with the observation that our view of the past is created by photographs made by people with a clear bias on how they want their subject to be seen.  Walker Evans is famous for recording the poverty of 1930's rural America, however, the view he left us has as much to do with his personal stance as the actuality of what was recorded.  The subject of his most iconic image,  Allie Mae Burroughs, stated quite publicly that he constructed these images of poverty, moving things around the house, changing how people were clothed.   These are great photographs, but they are not a realistic reportage on the events or conditions of the time.  They are not history, they are pictures.

10 comments:

  1. Shaun, another interesting and, for me, controversial post. I took your last paragraph and have written this in response http://umneygm.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/photography-and-truth/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I did post a comment on your blog, but it seems not to have stuck, not sure why.

      Delete
  2. Surely that's the richness of the whole series. There are so many different ways of looking at something and each of them is true in its own way. All these situations did happen; you did see them and you haven't gone around wearing blinkers. For me, each piece of the truth doesn't negate the other pieces - they co-exist and form the gestalt that is The Oktoberfest. I was wondering as well whether you have any photographs of the same people in those different states of being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many people at the event, once or twice I saw someone again, but with over 300,000 people there at any given time, hard to follow unless I knew them very well. I think my problem at present comes from moving to such a small image set and the desire to drive some consistency of look and message. This almost always pushes me into a specific almost moral stance on what I saw at the fest. I think the answer will be to treat the photographs individually and not worry too much about sequencing for the assignment. I will use the books as a back-up to show alternate ways of presenting the same material.

      I have another 4 weeks to complete this before the deadline (which can be extended), so no pressure and plenty of time to explore ideas and thoughts as I did in this post.

      Delete
  3. I am with Catherine and John. I don't think 'truth' is all of nothing. Walker Evans's pictures are an accurate document of what was in front of the lens when he pushed the shutter. The fact that he made choices about what to include in the image shows that it is a mediated document but it is still a document, and his choices and aims say something about himself and about the values and prejudices of the society he was working in. They are a historical record, but like any such record need some interpretation.

    Of these sets the last two look to me to be the strongest overall and to have most of your voice in them (though there are some great individual pictures in other sets). So, what will Shaun do next, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem that I have with Walker Evans from a truth standpoint is that he manipulated the scenes, moving objects around the house and getting people to pose in order to build images that suited his own aesthetic. He was not a neutral objective observer. He clearly did good things and I greatly admire his work, perhaps even more so because of the slightly dark element.

      But I would contend that they are not a historical record, beyond the fact that they are old. The problem with interpretation is that the counter view on these images is far more difficult to find than the spin that was put on them at the time. A casual viewer will believe and never read the background to the creation of the images.

      I need to think about what I do with my own images, light, dark, balanced. This is all quite obvious, in a sense, but this is the first time I have had to contend with how I present a message rather than simply a set of aesthetically interesting photographs. Ah well the course is called Social Documentary...

      Delete
  4. Hi Shaun, A quick observation though. Maybe Evans thought in rearranging the scene he was simply revealing the truth. The truth which couldn't be captured or revealed by shooting the scene unaltered. It’s even conceivable his subjects were wearing their best clothes to be photographed, but he asked them to change into their usual clothes for the sake of shooting the scene the way it would normally be. It could be argued that had he photographed them in non typical clothing, he would be complicit in a lie. I see this situation as being the same as a journalist writing a report for a paper. The journalist must interpret and report what he thinks is important and tells the proper story (unless it’s a tabloid!) I don't think you can single out photography as just pictures, not history, unless you do the same for writing.

    So I reckon Evans changing of the scene makes the pictures more journalistic than documentary, not necessarily a lie. In practice of course, it depends on exactly what he did.

    Regards
    Les

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely I am still grappling with the problem that this post addressed. When I submitted this piece of work I tried to retain a degree of objectivity which I thought a reportage piece should have. My tutor was very much of the opinion that I should have taken a position and used my photography to drive a message. In a sense, Les, that is what you are saying here, and I am tending to agree. A photographer editorializes their work, we must choose a stance and use our work to make a point. Sitting on the fence merely makes the work bland.

      I think a part of my issue, is with a formerly scientific training I still have that itch to drive towards total objectivity, art and in particular photography cannot be totally objective.

      Delete
  5. Hi Shaun, I think that’s a very good way of putting it. I had another read over your assignment and I think in way you have done what your tutor suggested. It’s just that instead of taking a stance, you have illustrated both possible stances. Maybe, depending on what your editor or client demanded you might only have shot from one stance.

    Looking at the above event, I would expect a journalist, or photo journalist to report on all the positive aspects, since that’s what most visitors will see. To provide a balance, I would expect a small comment on the negative aspects, but it’s important to remember that (I assume) the negative aspects are a small minority, and would only merit a small percentage of the coverage.

    In order to provide an honest and truthfull report on the event I would expect (say) 80% of the pictures to show people enjoying themselves and 20% to show the drunks. So althoughtthe truth might not be revealed in individual images, as a set I would hope they woul do that. All just my opinion of course!

    Regards
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still learning from you, but I'm trying to achieve my goals. I certainly enjoy reading all that is posted on your blog.Keep the information coming. I loved it!

    Photography Services In Collins

    ReplyDelete