Saturday, October 20, 2012

Assignment 2: Second Book

After completing the book, I shared it on Flickr with the OCA student community, after which I got a lot of valuable feedback. Not all people bought into the design I used and many felt that there were too many individual images. On the other hand many people found the concept working for them.  A few of the comments:

  • Initial thoughts? I'm not so sure it works. Full bleed is generally big and brash, but in this case I don't think the images suit it so much, and the pairings are similar subject matter wise but not really complementary. Or so it seems to me...
  • The colour overall is great and adds to the sense of atmosphere Shaun. Full-bleed works well most of the time but sometimes the facing images seem slightly at odds with each other, as when there's a lot going on in each image, or the colour tones are very different - e.g. red v blue.
  • I think I find it a bit disorientating where the 2 edges join up direct to one another in the middle.
  • However I'm with Catherine and Anne on the use of full bleed and especially cases where two full-bleed images are on facing pages. I found it hard to judge either image in such cases due to the distracting effect of the other. I can see that you've chosen these to match in terms of subject-matter but there would need to be a much stronger visual link for them to work as opposing pairs, let alone at full bleed. Some pictures also seem to have very visible grain, which you might get away with if it was consistent but which can be distracting when it's occasional.
  • Good comparison with Parr etc - some of the images could almost have been Blackpool (well, almost!). I agree that it could do with another edit & maybe a mix of brash full-bleed with some more sober (highly inappropriate word in the context) presentation would break up the rhythm a bit.
  • Well I'm going to buck the trend a little. I actually liked the 'almost too busy' feel on the full bleeds. I thought it really conveyed what I guess would be the frenetic confusing atmosphere of the event.
  • Shaun, Thanks for sharing - you are very brave to go full bleed, but I think that these images can handle it - makes me feel like the event (and the people) can't be constrained!
Clearly book design is a matter of individual taste, some people enjoy the chaos of full bleed, others find that it distracts from a reading of the individual photographs.  With this in mind and in the spirit of exploration I have designed a second book.  The new book is also inspired by Martin Parr, only this time I have "The Last Resort" in mind rather than "Think of England".  

My design criteria for the second book was:
  1. Same book size and format - i.e. Blurb's standard landscape - 8x10 inches 
  2. Retain the aspect ratio of the photographs - 3x2
  3. One image per 2 page spread, with a blank facing page
  4. White space around the image
  5. Addition of simple captions
  6. No more than 80 pages, meaning no more than 40 photographs including the cover
The biggest change was to take the photograph count down from 107 to the 37 I finished with.  With fewer photographs visual consistency became more rather than less important.  This also changed the narrative flow.  In the first book I charted the experience of the attendees from the fun of the fair to the self destruction of excessive drinking, ending with bleak disturbing images.  The second became more of a "day in the life of" treatment, starting in the day and finishing with the bright lights of the fair ground.  Many of the more bleak images simply did not balance well with the colour of the others.  I have still retained the drunkenness, but now it is more joyful than sad.

Apart from the experience I have gained in sequencing and layout, this process has illustrated to me the ease with which changes in selection of photographs can alter the message.  The edit defines the mood and the story.  My first book presented a chaotic and rather sad picture of the Oktoberfest, the second is far more upbeat, sure people get drunk, but they have a bloody good time doing it.  This is a further lesson in the ongoing exploration of photography and truth, it is not only what we include or exclude in the frame, it is whether we share the photographs or not.


By Shaun Clarke

2 comments:

  1. It's been a very interesting experiment as you say.

    Following along with you on this has made me even more worried than I was about making the two books I have in mind for landscape. Each will be the product of a year's work (or more) and I have been vaguely worrying about how to tie all the elements in to make a good narrative, and keep to 40-60 pictures. I'd planned to leave it for six months before getting started pulling together but this has concentrated my mind somewhat!

    I don't think the objection was to full bleed per see, but to the effect of pairs of full bleed images. I do think that you could use some full bleeds and some other options and take time and make a really special book that tells all of the story of the Fest as you experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I would not worry too much as you have plenty of time and a good visual understanding of what you do. These books for me were experiments in adopting different design philosophies and then using the very valuable feedback to refine and rework. Both are being printed and the first is already due to arrive today. There is a huge difference in seeing a book as a paper object versus on screen.

      I will make a third and that will combine the learning so far, both picture edit, design and sequencing into something new and probably more my own style, rather than the experiments so far.

      I am a little frustrated with this course and am trying to add to it to get more from the experience, book design is one of those elements. I want to show my tutor learning from this process as part of the assignment submission. Although he might get fed up with me eventually, video for assignment 1, books planned for 2 and 4...

      Delete