Saturday, March 30, 2013

P21: camera handling

Another of those rather odd basic skills projects that abound in the older OCA courses.  It is this kind of activity that makes me wonder quite what the course designers were thinking and does have a tendency to diminish my faith in the education I am receiving.  This in particular would make sense in TAOP, but halfway through a second year degree module?  However, rather than explode in a fit of indignation I decided to have some fun with this exercise and use it to explore a variety of different camera handling techniques.


The suggested technique, the 6th image above, of supporting the lens with one hand and operating the shutter with the other is fine if using an SLR, clearly the author did not anticipate mirrorless compacts not having an eye piece, the advent of the camera phone, or even the use of a rangefinder.  And clearly he or she did not give any thought to underwater use while wearing scuba gear, so thoughtless...

Technology has advanced a lot since the original design of this course in 1991 and even since the last edit dated 2006.  A couple of things have actually come full circle.  First of all the boxy integrated lens range finder style has reappeared, although now we refer to them as mirrorless compacts.  This makes for a much smaller camera that can be firmly held in both hands without needing to support the lens.  Secondly the introduction of articulated screens means that we can return to a style of camera use similar to the waste level finder from the boxy medium format TLRs.  Both of these innovations have resulted in cameras whose use is far more discreet than the traditional DSLR with its huge zoom lenses and flower petal hoods.

When I started working on Social Documentary projects I found that my Canon DSLR was simply too noticeable, it drew attention and alerted my quarry to the presence of a photographer.  DSLRs are also seen as "proper" cameras used by professionals, immediately raising suspicion.  My Fuji X100 "rangefinder" is almost invisible to the casual observer, it looks like a basic camera, but captures professional level images.  Its small size and fixed focal length make using it far faster.  Alternatively I have a couple of interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras that have articulated screens, meaning that I can shoot with the camera at waste high.  Even if noticed, the casual observer often thinks I am looking at an image not taking a photo. Finally all of these cameras are nearly soundless in operation, something I certainly cannot say of my 5D2.

Added to the changing format of modern cameras is the huge technological advance in image stabilization and high ISO capability.  Much of the need for drawing in the elbows, pulling the camera close to face, and exerting a strong supportive grip comes from the limitations of ISO 400 film in non stabilized cameras.  If I couple a good IS system to reliable ISO 3200 operation, I get another 7-8 stops of effective hand holdability.  In other words I can shoot hand held at night time on a moving boat and produce acceptable results, more of which in a later post.  This changes the game and permits both changes in handling and also environments in which a camera can be used.

Ultimately, though, the route to optimum stability is a tripod:


This was my set up for the shoot above.  My 5D2 mounts a 24-70 f/2.8 zoom and a 580EX II flash gun.  I have attached a remote trigger with a 10s delay on the shot.  The camera is directly attached to my computer permitting me to see the images as I shoot to confirm focus and lighting.  I prefocused the camera so that I would be in focus if I stood on a certain line on the floor.  This had to be adjusted a little every now and then as different lens meant I was closer or further from the camera.  The rest was simply to hot the trigger and assume a pose.

This was a fun project, a great way to while away a bank holiday morning.  Recently I have written about stress and disillusionment with the current course.  This project is one of the reasons for the latter, my approach was a way to deal with the former.  Photography for me is meant to be fun, I want a degree and I want to do some serious work, but good grief, I am doing this for enjoyment and I really enjoyed this!

No comments:

Post a Comment